The Virginia-Highland Church is a growing, diverse, progressive congregation affiliated with the United Church of Christ and the Alliance of Baptists. Our Mission is passionately based on Micah 6:8 and we seek to “do justice, love mercifully, and walk humbly with God.” We are blessed to have an immediate opening for a new clergy position (details below). For consideration, please contact Rev. Michael Piazza.
The Pastor of Justice and Witness serves as one of the pastors of the Virginia-Highland Church. S/he will lead worship, care for the congregation, and support the congregation’s health, vitality and spiritual formation. Initial funding for this position defines the role as primarily providing leadership for the church’s mission of doing the work of justice and community outreach. Specifically, the Pastor for Justice and Witness will provide leadership and support to our homeless ministries called The River.
The salary is full-time plus benefits and is available immediately. At Virginia-Highland Church, the Senior Pastor is the head of staff and the position supervisor with an annual review done by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee and ultimate accountability to the Congregation. Preference is given to clergy with standing in the United Church of Christ.
- Pastoral skills to lead worship, preach, and care for the membership of the church and the larger community.
- Strategic project management skills; able to see an outcome and develop the strategic steps needed to reach the goal.
- Empowering leadership skills which support, empower, and harnesses the passion, skills and resources of volunteers for maximum impact.
- A deep devotion to diversity and progressive faith that includes all people joyfully.
- Entrepreneurial skills which allows you to create new programs and try new things as we seek to build programs that have never existed with what is essentially a new church in an existing congregation.
- Experience with, and passion for, street outreach with the homeless community, which has led to a clear understanding of their experiences and the challenges that they face.
- Political advocacy experience, working for social justice issues with local and state political officials and agencies.
- A sense of humor and adventure that doesn’t take failure personally because working with the homeless is a unique challenge.
- Worship: Plan and lead weekly worship with the Sr. Pastor as one of the ways we help people “walk humbly with God.”
- Spiritual Formation: Create a team to develop creative education and formation programs to build a spiritual foundation in the congregation for doing ministries of justice and mercy.
- The River: Serve as the primary resource person to the volunteers who make up this ministry. This program is still evolving but the church is committed to it being a signature ministry. We are continuing to explore new ways to meet the needs of the homeless and to find ways to address issues that cause and exacerbate homelessness. Resourcing The River is a priority for this position.
- Justice and Outreach Programming: Although the River is a ministry priority, it is not the calling of all members and our goal is for every member to be a minister. One responsibility of this position is to encourage and support a variety of ministries. This may include ministries done by groups within the congregation but it may also simply be supporting and documenting what members do in their lives as expressions of their faith.
Rev. Michael Piazza
743 Virginia Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30306